The Big Ten meets the Atlantic Coast Conference Saturday as the Syracuse Orange host the Rutgers Scarlet Knights Saturday at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. Both teams come into this game with records of 1-0. These two teams haven't played one another since 2012, when Rutgers came out on top. Scarlet Knights are favored by 2 points and the over-under is set at 51.5. This should be a good one.
Rutgers dominates TempleThe Rutgers Scarlet Knights won their season opener last Saturday, beating up on Temple 61-14. It was an impressive win as they were only favored by 14 points. Quarterback Noah Vedral was 16 for 28 for 131 yards and 1 touchdown and he ran for a team-high 57 yards. Isaih Pacheco rushed for 48 yards while Kyle Monanghai and Johnny Langan each rushed for 2 touchdowns. Also, Bo Melton caught 6 passes for 58 yards and a touchdown.
Rutgers dominated with 23 first downs and held Temple to just 10 first downs. They had 365 total yards to just 264 for Temple. The defense won this game for Rutgers as they forced 5 turnovers, with 3 recovered fumbles and two interceptions. One of the interceptions was a 46-yard pick-six by Max Melton. Rutgers also had 3 sacks. Rutgers comes into this game pretty healthy as only defensive back Patrick Rene is listed as questionable with an undisclosed illness.
Syracuse tops Ohio in openerThe Syracuse Orange got off to a solid start this season with a 29-9 win over Ohio last Saturday. Ohio had been a 2 point favorite, so it was a good win for Syracuse. This game was far closer than the score indicates as the two teams were roughly even in total yards -- 383 for Syracuse to 346 for Ohio -- and first downs, 21 for Syracuse, 20 for Ohio. Neither team had a turnover, but Syracuse was better on third-down conversions, converting 8 of 12 compared to 5 of 12 for Ohio.
Syracuse won it with a dominant rushing attack, running for 283 yards. The big dog was Sean Tucker, who rushed for 181 yards and a touchdown. Quarterback Tommy DeVito ran for 49 yards and a touchdown and threw for 92 yards on 11 completions in 17 attempts. Cooper Lutz rushed for 25 yards and a touchdown. Taj Harris caught 6 passes for 29 yards while Anthony Queeley had 3 catches for 39 yards. Syracuse comes into the Rutgers game with no injuries.
- Orange are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 vs. Big Ten.
- Orange are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 games following a ATS win.
- Orange are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games after allowing less than 20 points in their previous game.
- Orange are 0-5 ATS in their last 5 games following a straight up win.
- Scarlet Knights are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games after allowing less than 170 yards passing in their previous game.
- Scarlet Knights are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 road games.
- Scarlet Knights are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games after allowing less than 20 points in their previous game.
- Scarlet Knights are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games as a favorite.