Where: Coors Field
When: Tuesday, September 10, 2019, 8:40 pm ET
We have a National League MLB game for Tuesday night when the St Louis Cardinals and Colorado Rockies meet for game one of their scheduled, three-game series. The Cardinals are first in the NL Central and plan for righty Michael Wacha to make the start against Colorado. The Rockies are last in the NL West and their probable starter for Tuesday night is righty Chi-Chi Gonzalez.
Cardinals Four-Game Lead in NL Central
The Cardinals are in charge of their own destiny and has a four-game lead over the Chicago Cubs. St Louis has won seven of their last 10 games and enters this series riding a two-game winning streak. The Cardinals have outscored their opponents by 85 runs and has a below .500 road record this season.
Wacha (6-6, 4.98) has a 1.55 WHIP and his 4.83 xFIP suggests maybe the righty has been unlucky and could see positive regression at some point this season. Wacha has allowed seven earned runs over the past 22.2 innings pitched and strikes out 7.71 per nine innings pitched with 4.02 walks and 2.01 bombs allowed per nine innings pitched this season.
Colorado has scored nine runs over their last five games and scores a National League-leading 6.23 runs per game and has clubbed 108 bombs at Coors Field this season while smashing 124 bombs against righties this season.
Rockies Riding Struggle Bus
Colorado is riding the struggle bus and has lost nine of it’s last 10 and is 17.5 games back in the NL Wild Card race. That means their season is likely over at game 162. The Rockies are hoping to end a two-game losing streak on Tuesday night and have been outscored by 118 runs this season. The Rockies are also 34-35 at Coors Field and this series with the Cardinals is going to be interesting, to say the least.
Gonzalez (0-6, 7.29) has a 1.69 WHIP and his 6.06 xFIP suggests maybe some positive regression is headed the young hurler’s way at some point this season. Gonzalez has allowed 21 earned runs over the last 22.1 innings pitched and strikes out 4.93 per nine while allowing 5.36 walks and 1.93 home runs per nine innings pitched this season.
St Louis has scored 34 runs over the last five games and scores an average of 4.60 runs per game with 104 dingers away from Busch Stadium and has clubbed 134 bombs against right-handed pitching this season.
- Rockies are 0-5 in their last 5 games vs. a starter with a WHIP greater than 1.30.
- Rockies are 0-5 in Gonzalez’s last 5 starts following a team loss in their previous game.
- Rockies are 0-9 in Gonzalez’s last 9 starts.
- Rockies are 0-9 in Gonzalez’s last 9 starts on grass.
- Rockies are 0-4 in Gonzalez’s last 4 starts when their opponent allows 2 runs or less in their previous game.
- Cardinals are 4-0 in Wacha’s last 4 starts with 5 days of rest.
- Cardinals are 6-0 in Wacha’s last 6 Tuesday starts.
- Cardinals are 8-2 in Wacha’s last 10 starts when their opponent scores 2 runs or less in their previous game.